[sword-devel] Should we support evolutionary propaganda?

Leon Brooks sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 10:04:21 +0800

On Friday 21 December 2001 03:20, Lutz, Tom wrote:
> I know that we're not missing the main idea but I can't resist...

Weeeelll... I dunno, I think these things need thrashing out from time to
time, perhaps we need a FAQ entry for it?

> What do we think the main populace of Bible software users (basic or
> advanced) will be working on, Windows of Linux?  Clearly, today, it's
> Windows.  I don't see this changing too much in the near future and
> wouldn't develop for something other than Windows for Bible software
> because of it.

This looks like a fairly good definition of a vicious circle to me.

I also have a moral ``opportunity'' with requiring users of a Bible program
to own software written and controlled by a selfish, cheating, predatory and
monopolistic corporation whose directors and the like pump many millions into
evolutionary propaganda (http://www.current.org/prog/prog0111evol.html
http://www.seti.org/general/press_release/space_dot_com.html (search ``new
telescope'') http://www.arn.org/docs/pbsevolution/pbsgilder072601.htm).

In fact, given that the sole target of such spending is creation, we should
as Christians (or, for that matter, as followers of Judaism or Islam) be
doing EVERYTHING WE CAN to wean people AWAY from Microsoft products, diluting
the funds available for underming the foundations of our own beliefs.

> How to reach the most people: go where they are and today that's Windows.

Uh, no... very much no... rather, write something portable, so and get them
all. One codebase, one set of problems, and stable alternative systems to
bug-test that codebase against.

Cheers; Leon