[sword-devel] Spending $1,000,000 in development and giving away the fruits

Chris sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 00:14:14 +1100

>No it means they need to find other resources, or it needs to matter enough
>that they make the sacrifice to buy them, borrow them, or ask for donations.
On that theory they should charge $50 to get into church, and it should
"matter enough" to the members
to make the sacrifice.

>There are free texts, just not recent good ones, there are good inexpensive
>texts as well. Bible societies sell NASB for around ten dollars. How many
>free commentaries is Sword up to now? Free versions? Nearly every language
>on earth is covered at least once for free. History has never seen such
>abundance of free material already available for the taking.
IF the NASB was worth all that effort, then it is worth getting into
everyone's hands, even
those who can't afford it.

>Also I have a wealthy acquaintance who owns authentic photo engraved
>reproductions of the Dead sea scrolls. They cost a fortune. Is it a problem
>if I visit his place and study a while? Should he sell them in your
>estemation? To whom? Should people not buy such things when they are offered
>for sale?
Now you're talking about a very scarce resource. That's a different issue.

>What about music, shouldnt that be all free too?
I think you are confused about the distinction between "free" and "no

There is no charge to go to church, but it's not free. One generally
gives a donation,
or tithe or whatever. Should be the same for music.

>And the computer to play the MP3s of it on!
IF you owned Intel and IF you were a Christian, and IF you could make
a computer for almost no marginal cost, then hey, it might not
be a bad idea. The believers did have everything in common.