[sword-devel] GNU and OS ideologies and indulgences

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 13:39:37 -0800

> > In The Beginning (c), bibles were printed and nobody cared about the

> > licence.
> > But in these last times (c), bibles can be mass-produced by anybody
> > digitally, and the issue of licence is suddenly seems important. We
> > need
> > a GNU translation!
>
> Isn't that  what World English Bible (WEB) is all about?

Nothing against the WEB (which I think is terrific) but I'd love to see
a translation produced through open source development methods
(distributed, community-based editing & creation).  I think this is
where Project 'eL' is headed, but once that project has a system
developed, there's no reason why we couldn't use it to produce
translations.  I would bet that we could find enough interested and
qualified individuals to produce translations in English and German, at
least.

Deciding who is qualified, logging all the changes, and requiring that
translators make notes on all changes (a cross between the NET Bible
notes and CVS log entries) are some sticky issues to anticipate. :)

--Chris