[sword-devel] GNU and OS ideologies and indulgences

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:01:17 -0700

At 08:15 AM 12/11/2001 -0600, Jerry Kreps wrote:
>I am not sure I follow you on this....  aksing payment of license
>fees in exchange for permission to use copyrighted material is the
>same as granting permission to commit sin without fear of God's
>retribution?

If I was asked this question out of the blue I would say no.

>  Or, are you saying it is a sin to copyright God's Word
>in any form?  The latter statement I agree with because all
>versions/translations of God's Word are "derived works."

First, let me say that I don't want to encourage anyone to violate
copyrights. Also, derived works can be, and often are, copyrighted.

To the point. Consider Peter's words, "May your silver perish with you,
because you thought you could obtain the gift of God with money! "  The
context of course is the giving of the Holy Spirit. But, is it any better
to buy and sell the gifts and fruit of the Spirit? So, the selling of
forgiveness is wrong. (The fact that they totally perverted the idea of
forgiving sin before the Reformation is another matter.) If the Holy Spirit
gave you prophecies, or teachings, or other gifts, would it be ok to market
them, and then limit those receiving them from doing their own
distributions? If I lay hands on someone or anoint them and they receive a
gift, should I be entitled to a royalty when they use that gift?  If the
Holy Spirit gives a translation should it be marketed? (Of course this
raises the question of the involvement of the Holy Spirit in translation.)

Consider also, the permission that John the Baptist had. Consider also Mark
9:39, "Jesus said, "Don't forbid him..." If the Holy Spirit is moving
someone to do a work, it would be wrong to have permission requirements in
the way. Don't hinder the Holy Spirit in any way.

>Exactly!  It is the advantage of all GPL & Open Source projects!
>May the Sword forever remain so in all regards.

To quote Tyndale, (sort of), Lord, open the copyright holders eyes.

>Jerry

People are going to think I am talking to myself again. ;-)
Jerry