[sword-devel] Build file for jsword

Mike Dougherty sword-devel@crosswire.org
09 Dec 2001 20:21:19 -0800

On Sun, 2001-12-09 at 19:13, Bobby Nations wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm pumped to find out about jsword, the java port of sword.  As a small
> token of my appreciation for the work done by everyone so far, I'm
> attaching an ant build file for the jsword project.  By default, it will
> compile and jar all of the java files under 'jsword/src' into
> 'jsword/dist/sword.jar', and it will also create the javadocs under
> 'jsword/dist/api'.  There's a clean target as well to remove temporary
> directories such as dist.
>
> Hope you like it, and I would love to contribute more to the ongoing
> porting efforts.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bobby
> ----

It works, I like it! I by no means have the final word, but may I
suggest a few changes?

15c15
< 	<property name="build.dir" value="btree" />
---
> 	<property name="build.dir" value="classes" />

Functionally it does the same thing. I prefer to use classes, it's more
of name for what is going in the directory. Also, a few IDEs that
compile into separate directories (i.e. JBuilder) use "src" and
"classes" so this name will make it easier for those lazy developers
that use an IDE. (Ooooh, I feel flame coming on...)

37c37
<     <target name="compile" depends="javadoc">
---
>     <target name="compile" depends="init,createDir">

Compiling doesn't necessarily depend on Javadoc's being generated, but
it does depend on the other two. It also can be time consuming to
recreate the Javadocs every time you compile.

/mike

 Mike Dougherty -- Java Software Engineer
 Hope is a waking dream.
 		-- Aristotle