[sword-devel] jgl

Sun, 09 Dec 2001 14:48:47 -0700

	I agree that we don't depend on jgl currently enough to warrant using
this library.  'Thanks' to Joe for this list:

> Quick summary from my point of view:

> Advantages of JGL:
> - Closer to the STL way of doing things

This is a fairly large advantage as we are trying to port a C++ library
that has no restriction on using the STL.

I agree with all these, below.  I REALLY think we should expose a
different method for the api other than the JGL Map.  Our clients
shouldn't be forced to use jgl constructs.  I don't mind exposing the
Map, but it shouldn't be the only way to use our api.

> Advantages to Collections:
> - No extra download
> - Better integrated with other Java classes, so you
>   don't need to convert to a Map/Set/List in order
>   to integrate with feature Y.
> - Used by more people
> - Better supported
> - Closer to the Java way of doing things

Having said this, has anyone looked at the ModEdit test program I added
to jsword to use the new SWInputMethod classes.  This is straight from
our efforts with project el.  I'd enjoy hearing a java expert's opinion
on the use of our IM classes.  I know swing provides a method for
changing the input method, but looked like it wasn't advanced enough to
handle composite keystrokes like the Michigan-Claremont mapping.
Actually, I don't know enough about them to even make that statement
with much authority.

	-Troy.