[sword-devel] HELP! Need your feedback on XML Markup Language

Kirt Christensen sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:35:39 -0500

Being only slightly familiar with XML or Sword, I'll offer some limited
thoughts.

>	XML doesn't allow more than one hierarchy in a document.  Here's an
>example of logical XML markup.
>
><Book NAME="Genesis"><Chapter NUMBER="1"><Verse NUMBER="1">In the
>beginning...</Verse>...</Chapter>...</Book>
>
>This is all fine and dandy, but what about <Quote></Quote>, Intro,
>Paragraph, Red, Bold, Italic, etc!  Most of these things WILL cross over
>the single hierachy limit of XML.

I think that the above example is of attributes which are set for
presentation.  Presentation in XML is controlled by a seperate layer of
logic in XLS scripts. I wonder if Presentation attributes could be used for
this?  Like below:

<Book NAME="Genesis" FONT="Bold"><Chapter NUMBER="1"><Verse NUMBER="1"
FONT="Red" >In the
beginning...</Verse>...</Chapter>...</Book>

As for the example below, why would a quote that spans two verses?  It
sounds like a problem with the guys who organized the verse markers for our
bible.  I understand why some people might want to be able to access the
quote information as an object or set of objects for review.  Personally,
the quote is just another character in the verse and not significant
logically.