[sword-devel] Web bible project looking for volunteer(s)

David Burry sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 19:24:01 -0700

well, ok... some details about that... it uses a special database system I
developed myself that makes for super fast lookups and searches, but takes
about 25 megs of index data per version for all the word indexing.  It's
very fast and efficient time-wise for a high traffic web site, but not as
efficient space wise as a result.  Needless to say it's designed from the
ground up for a large web server with many concurrent light web browser
clients only.  It's done mostly in Perl and JavaScript.  I've been wanting
to write a sword module importing script, so far I just have an online
bible one and a couple other customized ones for texts people have
contributed (like thai).

If you'd like to see how fast the engine is underneath, look at one of the
following urls and at the bottom of the page shown there are some tests and
technical explanations.
http://beaver.dburry.com/cgi-perl/bible
http://beaver.dburry.com/cgi-perl/bible?refstr=kjv&srchstr=in+the+beginning
http://beaver.dburry.com/cgi-perl/bible?refstr=asv+matthew+1

One thing I don't like about the other interface below:  the up and down
arrow buttons aren't clear whether they're going forward/back in the text
or incrementing the chapter numbers up and down... whichever way it is it
seems opposite from what you expect... ;o)  So I need to come up with some
other arrow thingies or whatever.

So, would importing sword modules into such a format be ok for this
user?  If not, we'd need to either fix this or write something else, maybe
something that uses the sword library more directly.  I don't mind if
anyone copies the interface, it's not patented or anything, in fact I'd be
flattered ;o)

Dave