[sword-devel] HELP! Need your feedback on XML Markup Language

David Burry sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 12:16:29 -0700

Interesting discussion.  There is another way to do multiple
hierarchies:  Instead of trying to think of the best way to store our data
in XML that will be a catch all for every possible hierarchy, we could have
our own database structure that isn't XML, ideally optimized more for space
and/or speed of querying than straight XML would be.  Then we could have an
engine that queries/searches this and creates various XML representations
of this on the fly, depending on how the front end needs it (and each front
end could simply have their own XSLT to format it properly for
display).  This is so very different than what we're doing it may not be
worth it for sword, but it's still something to theorize about.

I've actually been working on a separate non-sword system like this on and
off for the past couple years, using various Berkley DB tables for the
texts and language and search index data... I have not yet properly glued
in the XML/XSLT part but it's kind of exciting to think about.

Dave