[sword-devel] HELP! Need your feedback on XML Markup Language

Jesse Jacobsen sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 06:36:05 -0500

On 08/17/01, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> 	Here's a less formal invite to discuss a few topics about XML Markup.

I hope you don't mind if I chime in a bit.

> This is all fine and dandy, but what about <Quote></Quote>, Intro,
> Paragraph, Red, Bold, Italic, etc!  Most of these things WILL cross over
> the single hierachy limit of XML.

This is indeed a problem.  Here's a quote from a web page addressing
this for SGML:

  * Annex 10. Overlapping hierarchies. From the CES documentation.
    "This problem of overlapping hierarchies is a common one when
    applying SGML to certain complex descriptive situations, because
    the data model provided by SGML is that of an ordered labeled
    tree. When the phenomena to be recognized are independent of each
    other, they generally fail to nest regularly in a single
    hierarchy, requiring additional representations to be layered on
    top of SGML's basic structures. This occurs when there are
    multiple hierarchies, each to be applied to the same data, but
    where there are a well defined set of independent and hierarchical
    information types to be represented (as in the example above).
    Other common examples are the conflicts between typographic
    features (e.g., highlighting) and linguistic features such as
    sentence and word boundaries; and variant annotations (e.g.,
    segmentations), which are generally non-hierarchical..." [local
    archive copy]
(from http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/topics.html)

The paper that this links to, discussing solutions, can be found here:
http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/cedOverlapHier.html

Peace,

Jesse

--
But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by
faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.