[sword-devel] UTF-8

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:57:07 -0700

> Chris wrote me about UTF-8 encoding to put new modules in.
> Where can I find more info about this?

The best page for info about UTF-8 & Unicode is at

You'll have to decide for yourself the best way of converting a text
from a regional encoding to UTF-8 is.  There are mappings from various
regional encodings to Unicode at http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS.

But, as I mentioned, if you're just looking to print latin characters
with diareses (umlauted characters), that's handled in Latin-1 which is
also supported by Sword.  I suspect that there is some other problem.

> Does UTF-8 make it possible to drag and drop references from
> the commentaries?

It's just a character encoding, like ASCII, so it can't help with that.

BTW, you can find information about all of the tags in our .conf files
in the module creation overview at