[sword-devel] PR

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 11:13:35 -0700

> It's OK to have moderation on these forums, as long as the
> moderation is soft (i.e. posts go up to the board immediately
> and then the moderator swoops in to correct grievous errors).
>  I don't see a need to hold up everyone's posts just because
> some people are party poopers.

I agree with the use of this kind of moderation.  As long as the boards
are well supervised, there shouldn't be too much damage.

> - Announcements (moderated so that only a few messages get through)
> - Ideology (the Sword project should have X statement of faith)
> - Translations (for translators and people who notice translation
> errors)
> - Development (for developers of Sword as well as Sword-based
> software)

While I agree we should split the discussion into multiple forums, I
want to reiterate that my suggestion was for users, not developers.  I
would recommend (off the top of my head):

- an Announcements forum where new announcements are made (or mirrored
from the news page), but where people can then reply and comment
- a Sword (in general) forum, where discussion that spans frontends can
go, such as discussion about new modules
- forums for BibleCS, BibleTime, GnomeSword, and any new whiz-bang
frontends
- a forum for other frontends not yet generating traffic enough to
deserve their own forum

Ideology should be avoided at all costs, and posts that have no value
outside of ideological debate should be transferred to the /dev/null
forum.  And development stuff should probably be kept on the
sword-devel.  Anything that shouldn't involve community discussion, like
bug reports, should still be sent to sword-support.

--Chris