[sword-devel] proposals

James Gross sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 21:05:58

Not a bad idea, Martin.  I would also propose that we seperate the lists
into:

1.  The sword developers list (i.e. this one:))
2.  The sword modules developers list, and
3.  The sword website list.

I am being a little bit selfish with adding number 3 in, as I can not access
news sites, but I want to help with the website.  You could say that I am
kinda stuck.  Any other suggestions?  Is this possible?  Practical?  These
divisions seem to be the most practical and they follow the three most
talked about subjects.

Jim

P.S. If anyone knows of an internet based newsgroup reader that would allow
me to subscribe to the website newsgroup, I would appreciate the info.
Thanks.

----Original Message Follows----
From: Martin Gruner <mg.pub@gmx.net>
To: "Sword Development" <sword-devel@crosswire.org>
Subject: [sword-devel] proposals
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:26:02 +0200

Hi,

Since the new sword website is being constructed at the moment, I want to
suggest something that might save time by making things easier in future.

The sword project does already have a sourceforge account.
It might be a good idea to start using it. What are the advantages:

-all registered users can have permissions to administer parts of the
project
-a task manager creates trancparency in the development and makes
administering easier - aims can be set
-a bug tracker
-a support manager makes collecting and administering easy; you can even use
"canned responses"
-you can use a patch tracker
-the download section is well-structured and keeps track of the amount of
downloads
-the documentation manager categorizes documentation data which can be
edited
by all people with permission - everybody can submit new documentation pages
-there is a compile farm for creating binary packages
-...

Check out http://sourceforge.net/projects/bibletime and
http://www.bibletime.de to see an example.
The effect it may have is that the work would be distributed; more shoulders
would bear; people who cannot code can help with the docs/administration,
and
the developers can concentrate on coding.
This way the real development and the pr/modules related stuff could be
separated - which is necessary, also for this mailing list imo.
It might be hard to fullfill the requirements of deveolpers and
users/publishers etc. on the new crosswire.org website, and development is
what sourceforge is dedicated to. Why not use it?

Martin