[sword-devel] Early Church Fathers

Trevor Jenkins sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 20:42:29 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Jerry Hastings <hastings@dancris.com> wrote:

> After giving the sentence idea a bit more thought.
>
> In the Bible format now used the verse is the smallest division. And verses
> are the stuff of which all other divisions are made from. There are things
> smaller than a verse, like notes and Strong's numbers, But they are treated
> as part of a verse. There are also special verses, such as the zero verses
> and blank verses. And all this is derived from a one verse per line, or
> line by line, concept. Larger divisions point to smaller divisions and
> ultimately to a verse which points to an offset in the data file.
>
> Can we define a basic building block like the verse/line of the bible
> format for free form? And is it needed?

Although it will probably be sometime before copies can be made available
in sword I suspect that the Contemporary English Version will break the
current situation. There are many instances therein where verses are
elided together and are marked as 1--3, 10--12, 36--72 without any
indication of verse boundaries. There are also some instances where for
valid discourse reasons verses have been transposed. (Other translations
such as the NEB, REB and the MT set the trend for that.)

There are examples in the NIV, RSV and others where verses cover several
sentences and also sentences cover serveral verses.

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!

--

<>< Re: deemed!