[sword-devel] Fast search -- Palm Pilot

Nathan sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 15:05:58 +0200

Good day Stephen

On 5th September, Stephen Denne wrote:
> I took a quick look at indexing searches for the purposes
> of getting some kind of complete app on a 1MB Palm Pilot...

When you want the Bible in a small space like that, you will
probably not even use an index. You would use the wordlist,
and use the wordlist to compress the Bible with,
e.g. take the word 'faith' and make it number 1.
Then replace all the words 'faith' with number 1.
That way you can squeeze the entire Bible down to 1.48 Mb
(I know. I did it :)
The search is quick because when you search for 'faith',
you scan all the verses for number 1 (which is fairly fast)

> (I'm more likely to upgrade my hardware)
Better idea <grin>

> If space were a huge concern you could save most of the
> last 12560 by indicating ...
It is, as always, the compromise between speed, simplicity and space.

God bless,
nathan
http://www.nathan.co.za