[sword-devel] KJV verse numbering is not universal.

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 17:41:56 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Jerry Hastings wrote:

> Custom BKS and CPS indexes, if found,  could also be read into the indexing
> arrays instead of using the default. As to the vpl2mod program, command
> line settings could set it to use the Sword/KJV standard, or read book,
> chapter, verse info from the vpl file, and create the custom BKS, CPS
> indexes. One could also edit the custom indexes to produce a KJV index for
> the text so KJV based commentary references would find the correct verse.
>
> Jerry

I think what we're really going to need is something like verse mapping
filters--something with which to convert between any two mapping formats.
BibleWorks has this feature in a very well developed implementation, such
that users are constantly sending mapping corrections to the BW mailing
list.  Then modules would just be tagged as adhering to the KJV or LXX or
... mapping standard, and users can choose to either use the module's
built in mapping or force everything to adhere to a mapping they prefer.

This should go hand-in-hand with creating custom bks/cps functionality,
but just adding custom bks/cps indices wouldn't address the problem of
verses with swapped order (for example).

--Chris Little