[sword-devel] Important things!

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 05 Oct 2000 17:13:13 -0700

>I would love new features, but I really don't get many submissions.

A lot of people have never worked with open source and may be intimidated
by, for lack of a better word, the anarchy. I know I have never gotten over
the hump. It would be hard for me to know what the requirements of
submitted code would be for it to be useful to the Sword project. Does code
need to be C++? Does it need to adhere to standards? Do I need to be
compiler aware? Do I need a compiler, which one? What about pseudo-code?
How do I coordinate with other coders?

My experience with volunteers is that you have most of them only briefly.
If you can't get them up to speed quickly with clear goals, they will do
you no good before you loose them. Others sit on the side lines for long
periods waiting for something small, simple and clear enough for them to
fit in their busy lives. Some features may be small and simple. Something a
good coder could whip up quickly. But the task must be framed clearly.

More volunteer experience, is that they tend to be either neophytes or
retired. Those in between tend to be too busy. For coders, you probably
have a lot more neophytes than others with skill and time.  I know I have
seen on this list people saying that they were just getting into java or VB
or C++ and wanted to help and work on their skills at the same time. Where
are these people now?  Did they find what they needed to get up to speed?
Does anyone do follow up on these people?

Could there be something like a neophyte kit? Could somebody that knows
this open source stuff but doesn't have time to code perhaps have time to
follow up on the neophytes and see what they need and point them in the
right direction, and in useful directions? Can somebody document the
process of adding a feature or point to good documents? Perhaps giving a
neophyte coder a simple feature to work on and documenting everything it
takes for the neophyte to come up to speed would help.

Maybe I am way off. Does this ring a bell with any would be volunteer
coders out there? If not, any would be volunteer coders, please state what
could help to get more people coding.

Jerry