[sword-devel] suggestions....

jerry sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:34:09 -0600

Hello to all.....

Just wanted to say that you all have done a very good job so far on the
Sword Project software.....I don't know a thing about programming, but I
spend alot of time trying shareware and freeware stuff.....have been
using a free bible program from
www.skylinc.net/~richmond/bible.html.....version 5.1.3......its pretty
good except that is KJV only.......had a need to find something with a
couple of different translations......the Sword Project is all that I
have found so far that is free......hope you can resolve the pesky
copyright issues one day......have been using the program for about a
week now and have a couple of suggestions for improvement......Since I
have not followed the project very long, I do not know if these have
been suggested in the past or even if it is possible to implement
them.......I do know that I would find the program easier to use if it
had these features....

1)  Once a verse is highlighted by selecting the Book, Chapter, and
Verse from the toolbar, I would like to be able to use the up and down
arrow keys on my keyboard to highlight the next or previous
verses.......the left and right arrow keys can remain as they are:
changing from one text module to the next.......I find the need to
always use the mouse to click the up or down arrow button on the toolbar
a bit of a hassle......if the arrow keys worked as I have suggested, one
could highlight and read every verse in a chapter and go between
different text modules simply by using the arrow keys and not use the
mouse at all......this could also be expanded to automatically go to the
next chapter when reaching the last verse of the current chapter and so
forth......

2)  I would also like the program to automatically open (on startup) in
the last text module that I had previously been reading from when I
closed the program......The program already goes back to the last
highlighted verse, but the text module starts with the first one in
alphabetical order......I just think that if the program started in
exactly the same text module and verse as it was closed in, that it
would be much easier to use......

Like I said....I am not a programmer, just a user......so I don't know
how feasable these suggestions are and I won't be upset if they are
never used.........I just know that I would like it better if they
were.....If you have any questions about them (if I didn't make
something clear or something) please let me know......I will continue to
use the program and let you know if I notice anything else that I think
can be improved upon.......Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!

jerry