[sword-devel] Web interface?

John Keiser sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:29:13 -0600

Hello Spruce,

I am interested in a collaboration.  My email is johnkeiser@earthlink.net.
I think sourceforge.net is a fine place to host it.  (I have been hearing
that name pop up a lot lately.)  I would, however, like to keep it somewhat
low-key until we have a decent start at the code.  Part of this is because
my time is limited and I don't want to let anyone down not being able to
deliver everything in the first two weeks :)  Once the project already has a
decent code-base, it is much easier to build and keep momentum.  (And a few
weeks from now I will have more time, too.)  Not that I'd discourage anyone
from helping, of course :)

In addition to the email I just sent, here is a little more specific list of
features I would like to integrate:

BASIC FUNCTIONALITY
- Search for verses
- Bookmark verses
- Browse the bible
- Look at other versions of the Bible and cross-reference to Strong's and
other word references

COLLABORATION
- People may log in to the site
- Discussions can be entered on a verse, a range of verses, a chapter, a
book, or a topic.
- These discussions can be viewed by asking, for example, "I want to discuss
everything that anyone is discussing in the book of Proverbs," and every
verse discussion and chapter discussion in that book will show up as well as
discussions about the whole book.
- Discussions on a particular verse or range of verses will be linked to
from the verses themselves.
- Discussion posts that refer to Bible verses will have the links
automatically filled in.
- Anonymous posting is a possibility, but with something that arouses strong
feelings and animosities such as the Bible, I think people should put their
names behind it so that sites don't get bogged down with cowardly invective.

CONTENT
- Site owner can create "topic pages" that have explanatory text and verses
on them.  The verses are linked back to the topic pages.  This could also be
like "bookmark pages".
- Site owners can grant the topic page privelege to ordinary users.
- Each site owner can highlight verses and parts of verses they like.
- Ordinary users can score topics and such based on their merits

For me, in terms of priority, the basic functionality and content are the
most important.  The collaboration part would be awesome, but what I want
the most is a Bible web page authoring system.

I can write out a document this week about more specifically what it will
be; in the meantime, what features do you want in such a system?

--John