[sword-devel] ncurses front end

Sat, 29 Jul 2000 23:23:27 -0700

> I would like to ask a second time if there is any interest
> in an ncurses based front end to sword.

I'm interested.  I think it would be really cool!  I can't seem to get
it to work on my machine though.  It won't compile, I think, due to my
curses version.  What do I need to compile the program?

When I installed the rpm, it core dumps-- I'm thinking due to a mismatch
of libsword.so versions.  Could you build a statically linked version?

> [...]
> so zebra seemed reasonable.
> What are the advantages of a program like zebra.
> Sometimes you  only have a text based connection to a machine on which
> you can install software (telnet).
> some machines may have very limited graphical capabilities.
> (hand held devices, although I don't know that sword runs on any
> such devices yet.)
> Interfacing to other programs such as text editors or scripts.
> It can be called on the commandline, or interact through
> standard io.  This means that it interfaces well with other programs.
> simply typing :  zebra
> gets me the ncurses interface.
> I can type :  zebra -c l James1:1
> and I get:
>  James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, sends words of love to the twelve tribes of the Jews living in all parts of the earth.
> alternatively,
> I can type: echo "l James1:1"|zebra -f
> to get the same results.
> In particular I have written an emacs mode.  This means that you
> can easily insert biblical reference while writing a file.
> When I have sword,zebra, and my emacs mode loaded, then while I am
> editing in an emacs buffer, I can type cntrl C, l, and then type
> James1:1, and get the verse in my emacs buffer.
> Similarly you can do searches, read commentaries , write personal commentaries
> (I haven't tested writing to personal commentary yet.)
> If I decided that I needed to do a regular expression search, even
> though regular expresion searching isn't implemented yet, I can copy
> the entire bible to a buffer: cntrl C l, then gen1:1-Rev22:21
> I then have my editor do the regular expression search.
> The point is that the added flexibility of such an interface permits
> the use of many other independently developed tools with the interface.
> anyway if you run linux you can try it at:
> http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/users/r/raholcom/www/zebra/index.html
> where there are srpm,rpm, and tgz format install files available
> -------------------------
> There is much work that should be done to this code.
> example:
> Can someone explain why, if I declare and construct a VerseKey *vk
> and then do :
> VerseKey copykey=vk->clone();
> or even
> VerseKey copykey=vk;
> All the information from vk is copied to copykey, except that chapter
> and verse are set to 1.  The Book number, and everything else gets copied
> to copykey.
> So right now I have in my code, the very ugly:
> VerseKey copykey=vk->clone();
> copykey.Chapter(vk->Chapter());
> copykey.Verse(vk->Verse());
> --------------------
> completely unrelated to anything else in this email:
> Is there any interest or effort in having sword compile for other machines?
> It sounded like there was interest in palm, but what about other
> operating systems like : mac os, bsd, solaris...

n:Griffitts;Troy A.
tel;cell:(602) 628-7771
tel;fax:(480) 926-8939
tel;work:(480) 926-4500 Ext. 212
org:Evergreen;Java Development Group
adr:;;3260 North Colorado;Chandler;AZ;85225;US
title:Sr. Software Architect / Engineer
fn:Troy A. Griffitts