[sword-devel] Doctrinal Statement

Philip Kapusta sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 02:36:18 -0400

> Let me note that I know nothing of the particular group in question and do not intend to
> judge them to be either a cult or not. I am merely attempting to reprove a definition of cult I believe incorrect.

The definition I gave you came from the American Heritage dictionary.

> As I understand it, a Christian (as opposed to secular) definition of a cult is a group of people
> who do not beleive in the orthodox view of God (triune...  and the orthodox gospel
> (Jesus Christ was born of a virgin fully God and fully man, ...

Based on your "understanding" (see above), the Roman Catholics who follow the Pope and who idolize "Mary the mother of God" are NOT
a cult because this group embraces the Trinity, and yet the Unitarians and Jews ARE cults because they are a group of people who
don't embrace the Trinity!?  I think something is wrong with your "Christian" definition of "cult".