[sword-devel] Problems running BibleTime 0.3

Paul Gear sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 21:21:16 +1000

Hi All,

I get the following errors when trying to start BibleTime:

> gear03:[/share/src/bibletime]/opt/bibletime/bin/bibletime
> Starting BibleTime ....
> main: Added authors ...
> main: Processed command line arguments
> main: create new KApplication
> main: Register ressource types and directories
> main: Do no restore
> main: Create startuplogo
> Can't load startuplogo!
> main: Create new BibleTime main window
> CBibleTimeView::initBackend()
> Create CBackend
> Language set for SWORD is C using KDE's settings
> language initialisation finished
> created listCModuleInfo
> CSWORDBackEndManager: load modules!
> created backendmanager
> constructor of BibleTime baclend finished
> Symbol
> Symbol
> Symbol
> Symbol
> Symbol
> Symbol
> Symbol
> BibleTime::initView
> ## create splitter ##
> ## created splitter ##
> CGroupManager::constructor
> CGroupManager::readSettings()
> setup now standard tree
> CGroupManager::setupStandardTree()
> bibletime: KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
> bibletime: KCrash: Appname = 0x81332e8 apppath = (nil)
> bibletime: Unable to start dr. konqi

This is the first time i've tried to get 0.3 going, so let me know if
i've done something wrong.  Environment:
- Red Hat Linux 6.1 w/- various updates
- KDE 1.91 & Qt 2.1.1
- Sword 1.5.1pre from CVS
- Configure options: --with-sword-dir=/opt/sword --prefix=/opt/bibletime

What's causing this?  I can't figure out from that output where the
problem is in CGroupManager::setupStandardTree().

BTW, There were a lot of errors like this during the compile:

ctoolclass.cpp:98: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
`CToolClass::savePlainFile(const QString &, const QString &)'

This could easily be the cause of numerous crashes.  In that particular
case, it appears that the return value of savePlainFile() is not used
anywhere (it is used only in CHTMLWidget::saveAs() in
bibletime/chtmlwidget.cpp), but it is a bad idea to ignore warnings like
this nonetheless.  If no return value is needed, why not change the
function to 'void'?  It can always be changed back later if you find the
need for it.

Paul
---------
"He must become greater; i must become less." - John 3:30
http://www.bigfoot.com/~paulgear