[sword-devel] Re: Copyright, profiteering, and the Great Commission

Pergamum sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 13:58:44 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0049_01BFE752.4C5B4E50

First off, I'd like to clear up that I am NOT against a publisher's =
right to charge money for selling bibles or whatnot. I am a greedy =
capitalist. I understand how market forces work. You must pay for =
material, labor, production costs of the retail material, etc. As for =
the research and development in translations? It is all paid for by =
donations from Universities, Seminaries, Philanthropists, Archeological =
and Linguistic societies and other private sources so the arguments that =
Whichever Publishers is using about paying translators becomes moot . I =
am, again, not against them making money; merely against their arrogance =
in assuming intellectual ownership of the Word in the form of copyright. =
I contend that biblical copyright is an abuse of market forces in the =
most heinous manner. Furthermore, Mr. Burry, I find your statement to be =
rather offensive. But at the same time this attempt to mock the =
Scripture proves my point. If you look at the original verse in =
question: Matthew 22:19-21,=20

19"Shew me the tribute money." And they brought unto him a penny.
20And he saith unto them, "Whose is this image and superscription?"   =20
21They say unto him, "Caesar's." Then saith he unto them, "Render =
therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the =
things that are God's.",
we see that Jesus is addressing the picture on the coin and saying that =
governmental concerns are just that; governmental. Also, conversely it =
means that church concerns are exactly that: church concerns. =
Unfortunately what we see today is Caesar's attempt to have that which =
is GOD's rendered unto him in the form of taking the Word of GOD, in =
which the image and superscription of the text is of Christ Jesus, and =
overlaying of a copyright in the image of Whichever Publishers with the =
official recognition of Caesar in the form of a number assigned by the =
United States Copyright Office. So I ask you to please consider this: =
Does the Word of GOD belong to the copyright holders? Or does it belong =
to GOD? Whose image and superscription is on your copy of GOD's Word?

In closing I'd like to apologize to you David (or anyone else reading =
this) if my comments seemed a bit pointed or like a hostile personal =
attack. They were not meant to be such. They were however from a hostile =
point of view toward the blatant theft of GOD's Word in the form of =
copyright.

In Christ  Jesus,
Pergamum

----- Original Message -----=20