[sword-devel] John Gill

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 02 Jul 2000 22:12:44 -0700

--=====================_179048809==_.ALT

Speaking of CCEL and cleaning copyrighted materials out of otherwise public
domain works. Here is some news from CCEL.

A bit of news on the Christian Classics Ethereal Library/ThML front.

We're working on a system for putting books online in digital facsimile
format (page images) and allowing people to correct pages through a web
interface. The pages are stored in a database and changes can be seen
immediately.

If you want to take a look at the interface the URL for one particular volume
is http://pascal.calvin.edu/facsim/disp.php3?authorID=schaff&bookID=encyc11.

Your comments on the interface are invited!

I hope to do 50 volumes this year this way: 13 volumes of Schaff-Herzog, 14
volumes of NPNF1, 6 volumes of the Treasury of David (so that the copyrighted
text that's already online can be "sanitized" and made public domain), and
some other miscellaneous volumes.

It turns out this system can be used for books that are already in etext
form, to enable users to correct errors they see on-line.

-Harry Plantinga

-----

At 05:54 PM 7/2/2000 -0700, Chris Little wrote:

>We shouldn't necessarily jump on Larry's case over his placing a copyright
>notice on the Gill Expositor.  He didn't merely type it in, but also did
>some corrections and markup for Online Bible presentation.  Still it's not
>enough to copyright according to the US copyright office.  But Larry may
>have placed the copyright notice in there to scare off people intending to
>sell the work he'd typed in (well, he along with volunteers) as part of
>other Bible packages. While not at all legal or defensible, it's better
>than actually thinking he owns the work outright.  I'll drop him a line
>when I get back home and ask if he'll allow us to use Gill for SWORD.
>Maybe he'd be interested in a trade or something.  On the bright side, he
>does allow free download of the Gill module in OLB format from TOLBSS
>(www.ccel.org/olb).

--=====================_179048809==_.ALT

Speaking of CCEL and cleaning copyrighted materials out of otherwise
public domain works. Here is some news from CCEL.<br>
--------------------------------------------------<br>
A bit of news on the Christian Classics Ethereal Library/ThML
front.<br>
We're working on a system for putting books online in digital facsimile
format (page images) and allowing people to correct pages through a web
interface. The pages are stored in a database and changes can be seen
immediately.<br>
If you want to take a look at the interface the URL for one particular
volume <br>
is
Your comments on the interface are invited!<br>
I hope to do 50 volumes this year this way: 13 volumes of Schaff-Herzog,
14 <br>
volumes of NPNF1, 6 volumes of the Treasury of David (so that the
copyrighted <br>
text that's already online can be &quot;sanitized&quot; and made public
domain), and <br>
some other miscellaneous volumes.<br>
It turns out this system can be used for books that are already in etext
form, to enable users to correct errors they see on-line.<br>
-Harry Plantinga<br>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
At 05:54 PM 7/2/2000 -0700, Chris Little wrote:<br>
over his placing a copyright<br>
notice on the Gill Expositor.&nbsp; He didn't merely type it in, but also
did<br>
some corrections and markup for Online Bible presentation.&nbsp; Still
it's not<br>
enough to copyright according to the US copyright office.&nbsp; But Larry
may<br>
have placed the copyright notice in there to scare off people intending
to<br>
sell the work he'd typed in (well, he along with volunteers) as part
of<br>
other Bible packages. While not at all legal or defensible, it's
better<br>
than actually thinking he owns the work outright.&nbsp; I'll drop him a
line<br>
when I get back home and ask if he'll allow us to use Gill for
SWORD.<br>
Maybe he'd be interested in a trade or something.&nbsp; On the bright
side, he<br>
does allow free download of the Gill module in OLB format from
TOLBSS<br>