[sword-devel] InstallMgr functional

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 21:31:52 GMT

Troy A. Griffitts writes:

> Joachim,
>
> > The "manage remote sources..." menu item won't work.
>
> :)  It's not just the menu item :)
>
> Only local installs are completed.  I just need it to a place where we
> can use it for a CD install, for now.  Anyone more familiar than I with
> an FTP lib could add this functionality! :)

I am not familiar with FTP in a C++ environment, but I am familiar with it
in other languages.

I had volunteered on the BibleTime team to work on InstallMgr, and had just
decided that I should look for something else, because you seemed to have
everything under control, and I saw no need to duplicate efforts.  I will
learn what needs to be learned, and get this going.

Actually, I will get it going "shortly", as I just tried to load the
pre-release version of KDE (aptly named krash) and have lost my KDE
environment.  I will be reloading Linux this evening, getting everything
back to where it needs to be and start on this.  I am looking forward to
this learning experience.

This of course assumes that someone who knows FTP in a C++ environment
looking for productive work won't be displaced by my volunteering.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for an ftp library for Linux?  Actually
under KDE 2 I think they already have some mechanisms (at least I get that
impression from some messages I have read), so that will probably be the
direction I will go.  I would have no problem adding conditional
compilations for non-KDE Linux users, so an alternative library would be
appreciated as well...

--
   Darwin Gregory

   Creation is more scientifically valid than evolution!