[sword-devel] InstallMgr, again

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 16:03:51 GMT

Troy A. Griffitts writes:

<Snipped wonderful news about Linux port of InstallMgr>

> Does anyone know how to intercept a double-click on a GtkTree?

I don't know how, but I am someone who started in Windows, and I have moved
to Linux.  I have a STRONG opinion about double-clicking, and that is:

Double clicking should be avoided as much as possible.

I know that double clicking is a "standard" way of doing many things, but
it is an unneeded artifact of the Macintosh single button mouse that
started the GUI environment.

In a tree, I would suggest that clicking on the entry selects it.  If you
need to expand or collapse a branch, I would prefer accomplishing this by
clicking on a "+" or "-".  Other functions can be allocated to the other
buttons.  There is always the fairly standardized process where the right
mouse button calls up a menu.

In an environment designed with a 3 button mouse as the norm, I would
suggest exploring alternatives to double-clicking.

I think that we should explore other tree structures to come up with
alternatives.

But, as I said, I am biased...

--
   Darwin Gregory

   Creation is more scientifically valid than evolution!