[sword-devel] search idea

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:31:09 GMT

Paul Gear wrote:

> If file size is a problem, throw in a gzip in the file I/O part.  I understand zlib works pretty well
> there, and bzip2 also has a library.  Far better to do that than to have a markup where you're not
> sure whether '<bt>' means 'book title' or 'bibliography text'.  Long tag names take up more space, but
> this can be overcome with compression, and the benefits for understandability are enormous.  (And if
> you start complaining about too many keystrokes, i'll start talking about macros...  ;-)

I would protest the extra overhead of every read operation needing to parse
the extra characters.  After all a markup language will usually be read and
processed by a program where <bt> would be easier to use than <book title>
and only use about 1/3 of the space, and processing.  There will be very
few people that will compose ThML manually, just as there are very few that
compose HTML manually.

I would doubt that very many people will ever need to read and decode ThML
so I think that the language should be designed with minimal tag lengths to
ease parsing.

It is illogical to design a language where the process which is done once
is made easy at the expense of the process that is performed millions of

But this is just my opinion.

   Darwin Gregory

   Creation is more scientifically valid than evolution!