[sword-devel] Compression status

James Gross sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 16:06:53 PST

Greetings all:

I remember a while back that there was a discussion on encryption and it's
legality, export-wise.  Has anyone read the new export rules that the US
Gov't has put into law?  It is supposedly more lax.  I read a short article
that didn't have many details in it from www.news.com.

Hope these new rules will help the project out.

In Christ,
Jim

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Troy A. Griffitts" <scribe@crosswire.org>
To: sword-devel@crosswire.org
Subject: [sword-devel] Compression status
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 16:36:06 -0700

Chris,
	Daniel Glassey contributed working code a while back.  He did a good
job incorporating it into the framework in which he had to work.  Upon
receiving the code, I realized some fundamental flaws in the design of
the SWCompress mechanism.  These flaws have been revised and the working
version is in CVS, along with test apps in the sword/test directory.  It
allows compression types to more easily be swapped out.

	Daniel chose to use zlib instead of our LHZ compression algorythm.  I
wanted the framework to support either.  We chose LHZ because this is
what STEP uses.  We also include the algorythm in our code instead of
using external libraries.  Before adding the zlib compressor, I would
like to investigate the usability on Windows and consider whether or not
we should include the algorythm in our code instead of calling external
libraries.

	I still have not finished encorporating the SWModule drivers that
Daniel submitted into the CVS tree.  I need to make sure they work with
the new compression mechanism.

	This is the status.

	-Troy.