[sword-devel] search idea

webmedic sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 08:04:03 -0800

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, you wrote:
  PG >
  PG > If file size is a problem, throw in a gzip in the file I/O part.  I understand zlib works pretty well
  PG > there, and bzip2 also has a library.  Far better to do that than to have a markup where you're not
  PG > sure whether '<bt>' means 'book title' or 'bibliography text'.  Long tag names take up more space, but
  PG > this can be overcome with compression, and the benefits for understandability are enormous.  (And if
  PG > you start complaining about too many keystrokes, i'll start talking about macros...  ;-)
  PG >
  PG > Basing ThML on HTML has another big benefit: most editors already understand 75% of the tags.  This is
  PG > important if we are ever to get a large body of literature that is freely available.
  PG >
  PG > Paul
  PG > ---------
  PG > "He must become greater; i must become less." - John 3:30
  PG > http://www.bigfoot.com/~paulgear

I can add that bzip2 compresses the sword modules very well but nothing works
on the encrypted modules both tar.bz2 and tar.gz create packages that are
somewhat larger than the originals.

He must increase but I must decrease
		Brook Humphrey
		Webmaster: Thelinuxstop.com