[sword-devel] search idea

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 04 Jan 2000 21:40:07 -0700

At 05:16 PM 1/4/2000 -0800, geoffrey W Hastings wrote:
>I do a phrase search in Online Bible using a combination of a word and a
>Strongs #
>It is like doing a partial Youngs concordant type of search.
>
>Example: " faith 4102 " will find all the places that Strongs # 4102
>(pistis) is translated faith.
>
>Example: You could also do "Love" with the Strongs # for Phileo or Agape

But you are only searching for one word, the one that goes with the number,
not a phrase of words. If searches for Strong's numbers can not be done in
indexes of translations other than for the one being work in, then you
won't be able to even do your one word Strong's phrase search when working
in a translation that does not have Strong's in it. If it is possible to
search other indexes, then you could do a search for "faith AND 4102" to
hit on verses that have both. In some searches this will give hits on
verses where the word and the number are not associated with each other.
But in many cases it will be easy to tell that they are associated.

>I had someone today ask me at work if I knew of any program that had
>Youngs Concordance. (I thought it to be interesting timing considering
>this post)
>I think it would be handy. To do a search for a word such as Love and get
>the verses listed in order by  the Greek or Hebrew word that they
>represent with the small definition of that word at the head of each
>list.

I agree.

Jerry