[sword-devel] RE: [sword-support] RE: Sword Questions and Observations

Tony Garland sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:39:51 -0800

OK - I get the drift. I "discovered" the verse feature not long after I
started experimenting with the right mouse button.  I must say that it has
some nice properties (advantages over other techniques).

Some questions and observations concerning linking which come to mind:

1) Improved Linking Efficiency
   If a right-click occurs without an active selection,
   parse the item under the mouse and suggest it as the target
   for the dictionary lookup. An "item" would be any of the
   following:

	- a whitespace delimited word
	- an address (clicking anywhere over "John 3:16" would
        result in the full address being parsed)
	- within a # entry, the full list of verses

2) Immediate Link Lookup
   If the parse results in a single verse (the verse list
   has only a single item), then immediately perform the
   dictionary lookup (no pop-up menu).  This could be a
   configuration option.  Another approach would be to
   support double-(left)click for this--or even two
   single clicks over the same target without intervening
   actions.

3) Verse Lists from Arbitrary Selection
   Select a large piece of text. Right click parses the entire
   text looking for verse information and constructs a suitable
   verse list containing all verses within the selection.

4) Visual Emphasis of Verses from Text
   Although the current scheme allows any text to be used
   for a lookup operation, often it is verses that are of
   interest (such as using the TSK). Visually distinguishing
   verse addresses from surrounding text using a different
   color or font would be very helpful to quickly select
   them (by existing methods or any of the above).

Since one of the major strengths the computer brings to bear
for Bible study is ease of navigation, small improvements in
efficiency in this area would have a huge payback for lots
of users over time.

On another topic: what is the accepted method to move to
dictionary topics (shown in the right-pane) which are near
the end of the dictionary?  For example, how does one get
to "Z" entries in the ISBE?  Typing into the frame doesn't
initiate an alpha lookup and page down takes forever.
What am I missing here?

(As always, ideas/suggestions are a dime a dozen. Having
time to do something about them is another... :-))