[sword-devel] Another Important Issue - fast searching framework index

Nathan sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 08:35:06 +0200

Good day Troy, Martin & others

(I only joined the list about 2 weeks ago, so I am still trying to
find out who's who, who's doing what, what needs to be done, where
is the code, etc etc)

I am busy doing something like this for my website at the moment.
Only at a website, the speed is of even more importance, as you
have many users and many requests at the same time.
I have developed some techniques for making it fast enough, and
they also seem to work well with large resultsets.
It makes provision for most search requirements, including
wildcards (mesch*), AND, OR, NOT, range, and I am also looking at
ranking (most "relevant" at the top -- if requested)
Maybe we should talk on this?
(I am still working on it, but I am finished with 80%+ of it, so
I know it works)

1. In what format are the indexes that you are currently building?
(I assume it is something like a list of pointers to verses)
Are you also storing the number of times the word occurs in that
verse?
Are you working with ALL the words, or are you eliminating
"stopwords"? (something I see some Bible programs are doing --
most annoying imho)

2. I have tried to look at where you are doing the new fast search
in the Sword CVS, but time has not allowed me to explore this yet.
Can you point me to where/what you are doing at the moment?
(Or better, provide me with some quick high-level overview :-)

3. This bring up another point. Not all users know regex, etc.
But they will want to do complex searches. Are you looking at
making the search user interface more simple?
E.g. why ask the users to tell you that you must user regex when
they type "mesch*"? The * should tell you that automatically.
Or am I making it sound too easy?

God bless you,
nathan
http://www.nathan.co.za

PS. Where can I get hold of a Sword CD? I am in South Africa,
so I guess the normal outlets don't work. And the ISO image is
too big to download. I tried it! <grin>