KJV numbering (was Re: [sword-devel] Important: Different encodings)

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 09:08:21 -0700

There are solutions.

The correct way to manage this is not to simply build in support for
different versions' numbering schemes.  At present, we're using the same
method as Online Bible.  Namely, we convert other texts to use KJV.  It's a
lot of work, but it assures that translations viewed in parallel will show
matching verses.

Ultimately, we should transition to a system like that of Logos and
Bibleworks.  They allow the user to chose the numbering scheme and adjust
the Bibles dynamically to maintain parallel verse numbering between
translations.  So, you can pick any translation and have its numbering
reflected by all translations you view.  Bibleworks has the best method for
maintaining this by using verse mapping files that can be maintained by the
user.  Their mailing list constantly distributes verse mapping updates done
by their users.

--Chris Little

Krištof Petr wrote:

> There is more interesting thing. Different translations of Bible splits
> books in different number of chapters and splits chapter in different
number
> of verses. For example, Malachi has 3 chapters in one translation and 4
chapters
> in another translation. The situation with Psalms or Revelation (and other
books)
> is similiar.
> But sword handles all version of Bible like KJV, so you are in deep
!@#$%^.
> I cannt tell you more details, I didnt watch it more accurate.

    This is real problem for us. Is there some solution?