[sword-devel] Legal ?

Michael Paul Johnson sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:44:09 -0700

At 16:15 11/23/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Can the copyright to a particuliar biblical translation be sold?

Yes.

>   If so,
>then Satan can buy it.  Can the copyright holder really limit who
>publicly quotes in verbal or written form from their texts?

Yes, legally, with the exception of "fair use" (which is a fuzzy concept).
In practice, it is difficult to do so and enforcement is not done except in
the worst cases. However, if I were to publish the NIV on the Internet the
way I do the WEB, I would expect to have been sued for much more money than
I have by now.

>   Then the
>gospel can be silenced or severly limited by its translator or "owner".

There is certainly a legal chilling effect involved. This is the very thing
I was praying about when the Lord told me to start a new Bible translation
project several years ago.

There is a flip side to this argument, however. Because copyright law has
created such a profit incentive for Bible translators in the USA, we have
in English one of the richest sets of Bible translations in our own
language of any language in the world, and a greater selection of Bible
styles, help sets, etc., than any other language group. Even nonprofit
Bible societies feel fully justified in flexing their copyright muscle for
profit in the USA to help fund Scripture distribution in other languages.
Copyright law hasn't really hurt printed distribution of God's Word in the
USA, but actually helped it. It is mainly in the electronic realm where
copyright law seems to have an adverse effect on Bible distribution.

The good news is that publishers of free Bible study software and free
Bible texts are more of a threat to the copyright holders of its commercial
counterparts than vice versa. If you want to do something about the
restrictions and costs of commercial Bible text and software publication,
just make the free counterparts better than the commercial ones.

_______

Michael Paul Johnson
http://ebible.org/mpj