[sword-devel] Legal ? NT mss

Tue, 23 Nov 1999 16:05:51 -0700

> We NEED the texts available for the developers to actually WORK on them.
> They are not publically available and neither are the decryption codes.

I agree with Yeshiah on this point.
I an not under the impression that we are breaking any copyright laws.
What we are publicly distributing does not quote even a single verse of
these translations :)  Without the decipher keys these are NOT the works
themselves.  The keys are not publicly available.  We are not publicly
distributing these works.

Yeshiah,
	There are others on this list better suited to answer your statement
regarding the Greek mss., but... the textual criticism efforts that have
gone into Greek texts such as the NA27 is stageringly painful, and with
the Vaticanus and Sinaiticus Codices we have nearly complete greek mss
dating closer to the actual origin of the texts than any other work of
antiquity.  We have partial fragments of much of the greek NT dating
even earlierly-- 2nd and even 1st century.  The purpose of the critical
apparatus included in the NA27 and even the U4 purposes to allow the
reader the opportunity to see the various threads of variance (as slight
as they may be), and to make informed decisions relying or else excusing
the choices made.  A similar apparatus is also included in the same
German Bible Society's Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (BHS).

troy