[sword-devel] Re: Index help

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 23:59:17 -0800

I made the BHS, JPS, and HNV modules.  The JPS was made with prn2sword using
the standard output from OLB.  If you want to try reproducing this, you'll
have to find an older copy of OLB (version 8.0.x rather than 8.1.x) because
I believe the output format has changed slightly.  The BHS and HNV were both
produced from plaintext using a modified version of on of Troy's tools.

Character mapping and font direction seem to be problems with the BHS
module.  I believe that OLB solves the direction problem by listing verses
in reverse order--somewhat odd on the one hand, but it does appear and can
be read correctly.  For fonts, I recommend we move to SIL Ezra from SIL's
freeware Hebrew font package
(http://www.sil.org/computing/fonts/silhebrew/).  BTW, they also have
accented greek fonts at http://www.sil.org/computing/fonts/silgreek/.  If
you check their site at
http://www.sil.org/computing/fonts/silhebrew/BHSTexts.htm they even have
directions for obtaining a BHS and converting it to SIL Ezra's character
mapping using a utility they give out.  You could vary the method if you
want a different particular character mapping.

--Chris Little