[sword-devel] Back from Bazaar!

The Schmidts sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 13:46:52 -0500

"Troy A. Griffitts" wrote:

> Jeff,
>         Forgive my ignorance, but what is 'the Bazaar'? :)

Hello,
     Unfortunately, apparently (as show turnout was rather low), you're not
the only person asking this question.  The Bazaar was a
conference/convention at the Jacob K Javits center in NYC focusing on
Free/OpenSource Software.  Keynotes included Jon "Maddog" Hall, Richard
Stallman, Bob Young, Michael Cowpland, Ralph Nader, and probably someone
I've forgotten ;-)  Also, as a "Keynote" there was a panel discussion
featuring Bruce Perens, Eric Raymond, RMS, Maddog, Rob "CmdrTaco" Maldo,
Jeff "Hemos" Bates, and Chris DiBona (SVLUG president).  Additionally, there
were a bunch of Tutorial Sessions in classrooms at the center, and a,
somewhat small, expo floor.

I think I'll write up my impressions of it on a web-page and post the URL
here for anyone who's interested.  Overall, I thought it was a great show;
unfortunately the people who organised it weren't able to get as much
publicity as I think they should have deserved.  The idea behind the Bazaar
is that there are already a ton of "marketing" shows, like Linux World Expo
or the Linux Building at Comdex, so they wanted to design a more technical
show for developers, sysadmins, network engineers, etc.  It wasn't very well
attended though.  I think that is because, 1)Being so close to the holidays
might have made it more difficult for people to attend, and 2)They didn't
generate enough "buzz" for lack of a better word, in the proper forums (e.g
comp.os.linux.announce/slashdot/lwn.net/linuxtoday/linuxworld/etc).

More later.

Jeff Schmidt