[sword-devel] Copyright Scripture distribution

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 16:37:37 -0700

At 10:31 PM 12/10/1999 -0800, Joel Mawhorter wrote:
>I think that the people in charge of Bible societies are
>sincerely trying to further God's kingdom.

I sure hope that many of those people are trying to do that.

>Maybe they just need enough people
>to show them how they could do that most effectively.
>
>Joel

That may be true. I suggest to you that it may be good in these kind of
things to, as you say, "show them" and not make demands of them. No one had
a right to demand of Paul that he be a tent maker to support himself
instead of expecting support from all those he taught. If Paul had done
otherwise could anyone point a condemning finger at him? On the other hand,
if it would have been required of Paul then what he did would not have been
as worthy of thanks as the free gift it was. As he said, "God loves a
cheerful giver." You also should want these guys to be cheerful givers. You
do not want them to grudgingly give in response to what they may interpret
as a threat. Threats and grudgingly giving are worldly ways. May your way
be one of peace, joy and righteousness.

Just my 2 cents in case it may help. You may already have been thinking
that way. If so, just take this as my support for what you would have done.

Jerry