[sword-devel] Copyright Scripture distribution

Patrick Narkinsky sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 09:01:01 -0500 (EST)

Y'know...

I have to agree with Pergamum here.  While, sadly, we have no choice but
to respect the copyright held by the Bible Society's (and enforced by
their "publisher's of choice" -- e.g. NIV = Zondervan + IBS; NASB =
Tyndale + Lockwood -- I think) I have to say that I think that what they
are doing is very wrong.

In fact, it sounds suspiciously like Simony on the part of the copyright
holders to me.  And I don't mind saying it.  It's time to call a pig a pig
and label the Christian publishing business for what it is: a callous
attempt to grab money from believers.  Frankly, the only translations I've
seen which seem to have enlightened attitudes in this regard are the ISV
and the WEB.  I'm halfway tempted to start using the ISV for this reason
alone.  (The WEB version is just not there yet -- at least for me:
sadly, I have neither time nor skills to contribute).

*sigh*

Patrick

--
"Used without discipline, C++ can lead to code that is incomprehensible,
unmaintainable, inextensible, inefficient, and just plain wrong."

Scott Meyers _Effective C++_