[sword-devel] Why is the "German unrevidierte Elberfelder" (gerelb) encrypted?

Brandon Staggs sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 17:17:49 -1000

Part of the problem is that we have a lot of people scanning in public
domain works, then claiming a copyright on their digital text. This is
complete nonsense and makes it difficult when working with these texts
because you don't know for sure off the bat if it is a legit claim. They
don't even claim to only own the data file, but the actual digital text, and
think that if you use the same text you owe them something.

For example, Larry Peirce (OLB) had the John Gill commentary scanned and he
changed Roman Numerals to digits, and updated some spelling. He calls it the
"New" John Gill Commentary and claims to own it, and has actually threatened
legal action against anyone using it without his sayso. No court in the land
would (should?) support such a ludicrous "copyright," but nonetheless,
companies who want to use the text are intimidated into paying royalties to
someone (or whatever charity of his choice) who did NOT create anything.

Such is our society.

-Brandon