[osis-users] osis-users vs. sword-devel (was: Re: Some more footnote questions)

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sat Feb 23 00:15:33 MST 2013

On 2/22/2013 4:12 PM, Mike Hart wrote:
> Hi Markku,
>
> [OSIS-USERS at crosswire.org] is technically the right place to ask this
> kind of question, but I can assure you that your questions will be well
> accepted and get much quicker responses if you post them to
> Sword-devel at crosswire.org instead of osis users.

Markku:
Please ignore the bad advice above. It's best to carry on as you have,
posting OSIS-related questions to osis-users.

Mike:
I would invite you to read ESR's excellent article "How To Ask Questions
the Smart Way" (cf. http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html),
paying special attention to the section entitled "Choose your forum
carefully".

And, to everyone:
Although there may be significant overlap in interest and membership of
the osis-users and sword-devel lists, they are not the same and you
should be mindful of the differences and post to the correct list if you
want your posts to be acknowledged.

osis-users is for discussion and questions pertaining to OSIS in
general. Encoding questions, OSIS implementation advice, suspected OSIS
schema bug reports, etc. are best directed to osis-users. Discussion of
the various utilities to convert between OSIS and other formats (USFM &
ODF for example), would be welcome here. Many of the individuals
responsible for creating OSIS are subscribed to osis-users and can
provide implementation & usage support.

sword-devel is for discussion and questions pertaining specifically to
The SWORD Project. If you have questions about how to encode OSIS to
achieve a particular rendering output from a Sword front end, then
sword-devel would be the correct forum to post to. If you have questions
or comments about utilities to convert OSIS into Sword modules,
sword-devel would be the correct forum. The membership of sword-devel is
much larger but includes mostly people who don't have a clue how to
encode OSIS. And its membership does not necessarily include some of the
more knowledgeable members of the OSIS community.

If you elect to post to what is clearly the wrong forum, I for one will
read your message and then ignore it. On top of that, you're selecting a
less-knowledgeable audience for your message.

Please "choose your forum carefully" to avoid making irrelevant noise
and to increase the chances you will get useful responses.

--Chris