[osis-users] Some more footnote questions - osisIDs for repeated footnotes

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Fri Feb 22 22:45:43 MST 2013

On 2/21/2013 7:32 AM, Markku Pihlaja wrote:
> *Case 2) How would you form the osisID for the footnote in *
> - case 1a)
> - case 1b)
> - case 1c)
> I believe the osisRef is obvious in all cases.
>
> My osisID format for a normal footnote is for example "John.1.39!note".
> Depending on the solution to case 1), the osisID for that might be
> identical to the normal case. But how about 2) and 3)?
>   "Num.34.5 Num.34.6!note" looks like the note is just in verse 6,
> "Num.34.5!note Num.34.6!note" on the other hand looks like two notes. Or
> should I ignore (in the osisID) the fact that the note refers to a
> longer range and just use (the first?) one of the verses where it is
> placed - and let osisRef take care of that extra info about several
> verses? Or do still something else?

The value of an osisID on a note is largely your choice. An osisID on
notes is not strictly required, but there's no reason not to add one.
It's simply there so that you can reference the note later. Your usual
osisID format (e.g. John.1.39!note) is what I recommend and use since it
makes it clear where this note belongs.

I would recommend doing exactly the same for repeated footnotes. Give
them an osisID based on where the note appears within the document, and
ignore that it appears in multiple locations.

"Num.34.5 Num.34.6!note" is definitely not what you want. That indicates
the note text is also osisID Num.34.5, which it almost certainly isn't.

--Chris