[osis-users] Validation related OSIS questions

Markku Pihlaja markku.pihlaja at sempre.fi
Wed Nov 14 03:40:14 MST 2012

Thanks Peter,

I guess I need to enlighten you on the goals of our project a bit.

But since this is a rather lengthy explanation, I'll just mention to those
who read my original questions that two questions still remain relevant:

-----------

1) Is it possible to declare new custon attributes to tags, such as
<verse osisID="Gen.3.8"  sID="Gen.3.8" *x-FI_ID*="1. Moos. 3:8" />
and how do I do that, if it is possible?

2) Is this ok for encoding the same special character for different usages:
<milestone type="x-punctuation-dash" marker="mdash" />
<milestone type="x-range-dash" marker="mdash" />

-----------

And now to the explanation.

We are not creating a file solely for use for programmers to produce
different electronic applications of the Bible. Actually, that might not
even be our primary goal. Or well, it is one of two. The main point of this
project is to update the official source version of the current official
Finnish translation of the Bible, which was made in 1992. The source files
are word processor files also from that time and in need of technical
updating.

In addition to just updating the file format, we naturally also want to
supply structural info about the contents instead of the more formatting
oriented info in the old versions.

There are two different main target groups for this source file. Those
interested in electronic applications are one - a growing one, admittedly.
But we also want to serve the more traditional target group: book
publishers. This is why our goal is not to produce highly optimized XML
code but rather consider also "readability" and "usability" of the code.
Those words are in quotation marks because we're not talking in purely
human reading. But we admit that the technical facilities of book
publishers might not always be perfect, and in particular using some
external library or coding in general might be quite an effort for some of
them. So the processing might be half-human - that means for example using
search & replace operations to produce the desired formatting for a printed
product.

Including the Finnish abbreviation in every single verse might be an
overkill, I admit. The abbreviation seldom gets printed into every verse.
Usually not into every chapter, either. But for those cases when they do,
we want to supply - as an alternative - something easier than code
libraries and lookup tables. The extra x-FI-ID attribute would enable
relatively simple search & replace operations to reach the goal. I also
believe it might make things easier for the programmer as well.

I'm perfectly aware that from a purely technical point of view it does mean
loads of redundant data. But in database terms, we don't need normal forms
for our database, we'd rather supply more flexible alternative ways of
processing the data.

-----------

As for encoding the ranges in titles as ranges: I will very probably do
that. But I'm still keeping in mind the search & replace type of publisher
/ editor. Having done quite a lot of searching & replacing myself, I know
how easy it is to do a global replace that accidentally turns also Bill
Gates into Bsick Geatss ;), especially when dealing with too large amounts
of data to confirm every replace. That was my original motivation for
avoiding use of e.g. the actual em dash character "–" for several different
purposes. And the display part of the range would still include the dash
even though the range was encoded.

But yes, it certainly also makes sense to me what you suggest: that for an
application it's definitely a better approach to search for a range markup
than scan for characters that look like a range.

About the SWORD library:
We are planning to include some references to tools that can be utilized
with our OSIS file and will be glad to mention SWORD there. But could you
write me a "hard facts" nutshell about it? I tried browsing the SWORD
website for a while but didn't really find some essential info, such as
what programming language the library is for - and what exactly it is meant
for. For example "Research manipulation of Biblical texts" doesn't really
say much.

Markku