[osis-users] Validation related OSIS questions

Markku Pihlaja markku.pihlaja at sempre.fi
Thu Nov 8 06:08:30 MST 2012

Our project, the Finnish OSIS Bible, seems to be very much an on-off
project. Now we're back in the "on" state and getting quite close to the
finish line. A few questions again, this time mostly related to validity /
validation.

1) What XML validators (online or for Windows, preferably free) are you
using for OSIS? I've used http://www.validome.org/xml/validate/, but it
chokes on larger files - and my bible.xml is about 8 Mb :). If I split the
file in smaller chunks, it does work.

2) The Durusau OSIS User Manual doesn't give any directions for specifying
the doctype or charset of the documents. And at least the w3.org validator
refuses to validate the file without them. How do I do that?

3) How should I code en or em dashes in OSIS? The (for an HTML expert)
obvious solutions, – and — seem to be HTML specific and invalid
in XML. Or at least I this get error message from the validator:
"Entity 'ndash' was referenced, but not declared"
I'd like to be able to use some code or entity instead of an actual dash
characters (– or —), at least in some places, since we have two different
semantics for the dashes and I'd like to keep them separate in the code.

4) Finally, a question not related to validation. In our translation, there
are two paragraphs that span over chapter borders. In those places, the
translation committee requires an inline chapter number instead of one that
starts a new line (or paragraph). Obviously, this can't be handled by
regular OSIS, since it would result in something like this:

<chapter>
</chapter>

<chapter>
</chapter>

which is of course invalid.

How would you suggest that an exception like this should be coded? Add some
custom type attribute value to indicate special handling in layout?

Thanks again,

Markku