[osis-users] Unambiguous and Consistent OSIS for Interchange: Stand-off Markup

Weston Ruter westonruter at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 01:37:45 MST 2010

Attached is an example of what the ESV could look like as the result of a
web service API response for 1 John 5:7-8, including virtual elements and
stand-off markup. The relevant fragment:

<concurrent>
    <!--
    @virtual can be "start", "end", "both", or "none" (default)
    target attribute used by Open Siddur; Efraim Feinstein notes range()
    is a TEI-defined XPointer scheme:
    http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/SA.html#SATS
    Alternative would be to use @sID and @eID
    -->
/><!--sID="w6200500701" eID="w6200500706b"-->
    <verse osisID="1John.5.7" target="#range(h6200500601, p6200500706)"
/><!--sID="w6200500701" eID="p6200500706"-->
    <verse osisID="1John.5.8" target="#range(w6200500801, p6200500812)"
/><!--sID="w6200500801" eID="p6200500812"-->
</concurrent>
<content><!-- isn't @scope="1John.5.7-1John.5.8" redundant here? -->
    <title ID="h6200500601" canonical="false" virtual="true">Testimony
Concerning the Son of God</title>
    <w ID="w6200500701">For</w>
    <w ID="w6200500702">there</w>
    <w ID="w6200500703">are</w>