[osis-users] Topic Maps

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Sat Jan 16 07:09:47 MST 2010

Troy,

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> Thanks for all the useful info Patrick.  I hope you've gone to sleep and are reading this in the morning. Writing from my phone so must be rude and top-post...
>
> Well, I've been asked to produce some statistical data about authors' use of place names. I'd like to report which letters, authors, genre, etc. have higher concentrations of place names.  This is a simple computation if the data is marked up correctly.

True, but if by "marked up" you mean "in line" with the content, then
you are:

1) limited to the information that was put in-line at some point (or
must open the text up to more information, which may make it
incompatible with software designed to work with the prior version of
the syntax/information)

2) cannot allow others to add information because they might befoul the
syntax or text

3) limit the processing of the text (assuming large annotations) to
software/hardware that can handle extensive annotation. With a topic
map, using the same reference as a multicore processor machine, a cell
phone could retrieve only the information for a reference that it can
handle. Same text, same identifier, just a different result.

4) not to mention that to be useful, you are going to have to enforce
one way to name places for example, can't mix place names in multiple
ancient or modern languages.

> Would a topic map retain all referrer information from a base text?

I am not sure what you mean by "referrer information" but if you mean
the attribute values, yes.

As a matter of fact, we could treat things like "morph" as subjects as
well so we could map from other systems that use different terminology
for their infrastructure.

Hope this helps!

Patrick