[osis-core] reviving OSIS progress

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Tue Jan 5 17:36:39 MST 2010

On 1/5/2010 2:36 PM, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> Chris Little wrote:
>> I think the loss of osis-user at whi.wts.edu as a discussion forum is
>> also a big loss for OSIS, so I'd like to see a new public forum for
>> discussion/help, be that a web forum, mailing list, or something else.
>
> We'd be happy to host an osis-user mailman list the same as osis-core
> but open subscribe.
>
> Or if people prefer forums, we'd be happy to host a forum like the ones
> at: http://crosswire.org/forums
>
> Both our forums and mailman lists can preserve archived history
> accessible via google.

I feel like OSIS would be best served by having these services not at a
*.crosswire.org domain. It's fine to have them hosted on CrossWire's
server, but we should try to get a system working like before, where
CrossWire's server is hosting some other domain(s) that are exclusive to
OSIS/BTG.

Just a quick summary of the former/existing domains used for BTG work:
bibletechnologies.org & .com are owned by ABS and point to the official
server for the schema, docs, etc., namely bibletechnologies.net.
bibletechnologieswg.org was registered by ABS/hosted by CrossWire, but
is now registered to a domain squatter in India.

Assuming whoever controls the DNS record for bibletechnologies.net can
be gotten hold of and convinced to do so, I'd recommend adding a couple
of new records:

1) Point the bibletechnologies.net MX record at crosswire.org so that
Troy/CrossWire handles mail services. Then osis-core, osis-users,
osis-editors, etc. may all be hosted there, but would use
@bibletechnologies.net addresses. There is currently no MX record for
bibletechnologies.net, so that doesn't pose a problem.

2) Point one or more A records (other than www) at crosswire.org, so
that it may host other services as necessary. The subdomain(s) could be
wg, wiki, labs, dev, or something of that nature, depending on what
services we want to offer.

I don't know whether anyone has particular experience with any specific
wikis or other service software, but we currently have MediaWiki on
crosswire.org, and it has served us fairly well. Trac is another
interesting package, which integrates a wiki with issue/task tracking,
but I don't know whether OSIS particularly needs issue tracking.

--Chris