[osis-core] semantics of <divineName>?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Fri Apr 21 12:14:13 MST 2006

Hi Folks,

What are the semantics of the <divineName> element? My understanding of
where we stood as of the last time <divineName> was brought up at a
meeting was that it should be used for tagging translations of the
tetragrammaton (or conceivably the tetragrammaton itself) exclusively,
since it is largely a signal to do things like small-caps "Lord". All
other divine epithets (e.g. "El Shaddai") or small-caps text (e.g.
small-caps "Branch" and "Jesus") would thus need to use another element
(e.g. <name>). This decision was part of the reason for not giving any
types to <divineName>.

DM Smith pointed out that the manual specifically includes
"<divineName>El Shaddai</divineName>" as an example usage of
<divineName>. And another example includes "<divineName
type="x-yhwh">Lord</divineName>".

I think we either need to limit <divineName> to the tetragrammaton (and
note this in the manual) or add (potentially many, but I think DM Smith
can supply us a list) registered types for Yahweh, El Shaddai, etc.
Otherwise there is ambiguity since we can't depend on everyone to just
assume that "x-yhwh" is the right way to type a <divineName>
corresponding to the tetragrammaton.

--Chris