[osis-core] OSIS stands for....

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Fri Dec 30 23:39:03 MST 2005

This seems like a dumb question, but I don't know the answer. And
neither does Google, the repository of all knowledge that's worth knowing.

Does OSIS stand for "Open Scriptural Information Standard" or does it
stand for "Open Scripture Information Standard"?

I usually use Scriptural (which gets 214 hits on Google) rather than
Scripture (165 hits).

The top hits favoring Scriptural include: the BTG website, the XML Cover
Pages, the SBL site, & CrossWire's site.

The top hits favoring Scripture include: the BTG website, Wikipedia (an
article written by Steve), & the CCEL site.

The schema doesn't take sides, but the manual uses Scriptural.

It seems like, as a standards body, we ought to pick one. (And at least
try to fix the conflicting references on the BTG site.) So... who's right?

--Chris