[osis-core] Re: Revue Past mail isues from 8/28/2004

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Sep 15 00:20:16 MST 2004

Hi Guys,

The current best source for book abbreviations data is probably the page
at
http://web.archive.org/web/20030801225807/www.bibletechnologieswg.org/osis/specs/BibleBookNames.html
  Corrections to your list are noted below with an asterisk.

 > Tob Tob
 > Jdt Jdt
 >
 > Esg AddEsth		*Esth

"AddEsth" refers only to the additional portions found in Greek Esther
but not in Hebrew Esther.  This consititutes a separate book in some
Bibles (e.g. the KJV).  We can either add another book name to OSIS
(extending the list provided by SBL) or use Esth for the Greek version
of Esther.

 > Wis Wis
 > Sir Sir
 > Bar Bar
 > Lje Jer EpJer
 > S3Y PrAzar
 > Sus Sus
 > Bel Bel
 > 1Ma 1Macc
 > 2Ma 2Macc
 > 3Ma 3Macc
 > 4Ma 4Macc
 >
 > 1Es 1Esd
 > 2Es 2Esd
 > Man PrMan
 >
 > Ps2 151 PssSol	*Ps151

PS2 would be used only in the case where Psalm 151 is a separate book
from the rest of the Psalms.  PssSol is the Psalms of Solomon (found below)

The following 8 codes were probably added to SFM only because they exist
in Rahlfs' edition of the LXX.  You can find this edition (with the
addition of morphological parsing) at
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxmorph/ .

 > ODA		*Odes
 > PSS		*PssSol
 > JSA		*Josh
 > JDB		*Judges
 > TBS		*Tob
 > SST		*Sus
 > DNT PrAzar    *Dan

(If someone is using DNT to refer to the Prayer of Azariah/Song of the
Three [Hebrew] (Youths/Children), that usage is incorrect.  As Kees
noted, DNT refers to the Theodotion version of Daniel.)

 > BLT		*Bel

I'm guessing that the following codes are all private use book codes.

 > XXA
 > XXB
 > XXC
 > XXD